The best laptop for Doctors is one of the technology magic informs of a gift to the medical unity. Like in most professions, the practice of medicine has changed. Technology continues to reshape how doctors treat patients and manage data. The days of copious paperwork are ending, replaced with slick electronic platforms that seamlessly store, transfer, and facilitate information sharing.
Laptops are at the core of this movement in medicine. Their portability, durability, and ease of use on the ground make them versatile instruments for the modern doctor.
However, their use doesn’t stop at just storing and transmitting the information. Doctors also use it for research and to collaborate with other professionals in the field.
Furthermore, there’s also an explosion of medical artificial intelligence assistants. These are bots that can sift through mountains of data such as medical studies, diagnosis, etc., and come up with new treatment options.
The modern doctor deals in data as much as their work is in treating and healing patients. A laptop allows doctors to remain at the top of their game while managing information following set medical professional regulations.
Why do doctors need a laptop at work?
A laptop significantly improves a doctor’s productivity. It makes patient information management easier while providing a portal into the hospital network regardless of the doctor’s location.
The use of electronic medical records and laptops by doctors has many benefits, including:
● Reducing costs and errors
● Reduces misplaced paperwork or duplicate tests
● Facilitates sharing and collaboration among the team
● Helps doctors become more familiar with a patient’s history
● Improved communication with patients
● Educating patients eg, by displaying their weight or blood pressure over time
● Helping explain concepts to non-English native speaking patients
● Seamless in gathering info during emergencies
What factors should doctors consider before buying a laptop?
If you’re one of the doctors looking to make a shift to a more technologically-driven practice, here’s are some things to keep in mind.
Hospitals typically have additional requirements for their laptops and computers. The environment demands devices with higher germicide resistance, a sturdy build to resist wear and tear, heavy-duty cleaning, faster running speeds, ergonomic design, among others.
Here are the top factors you should consider when buying a laptop.
● Display: How much screen real estate do you require? Depending on your environment, and budget, you can opt for a standard 15-inch display, a larger 17-inch display for the office, or a small display for portability.
● Processor: A faster processor will give you higher performance. It determines the speed at which applications load. A Core i5 and above will deliver better performance and speed.
● RAM: The higher the RAM, the faster your laptop. Low RAM can slow your computer down and affect your productivity. To better handle heavier applications such as medical modeling programs, go for a higher RAM capacity. It’s cheap and will significantly improve your experience.
● Storage: Most laptops come with both SSD and HDD storage. Depending on your needs, choose the storage that fits your budget and the data you typically store. SSD storage will give you faster speeds and more extended service compared to HDD.
● Battery life: A reliable battery will significantly improve your working experience. Even a short electricity outage can cause loss of data and productivity. A long-life battery with superfast charging will deliver the best performance over the long run.
Given the above, here are our top picks for the best laptops for doctors in the market today.
Top-rated laptops for doctors
HP EliteBook 840 G3
The HP EliteBook 840 G3 is a budget laptop for professionals. It sports a petite display at just 14-inches, coming with anti-glare technology to reduce eye strain when working for long periods.
Its processor doesn’t disappoint either. The laptop is powered by an Intel Core i5-6300U dual processor running at 2.4GHz. It comes with an 8GB DDR memory RAM chip, giving you enough computing power to run multiple applications simultaneously.
Unlike other laptops in this range, the EliteBook features a 256GB SSD, giving you the best in storage performance at just a fraction of the cost.
One of the defining features of this laptop is the network options. It comes with the latest in wireless technology, such as the super-fast wireless-AC 801.11a/b/g/n/ac and Bluetooth 4.2 combo. No matter where you’re in the hospital, you’re assured of a seamless connection.
Finally, the HP 840 G3 comes with the Windows 10 Professional 64-bit operating system. It’s ideal for professionals, small businesses, and education, giving doctors access to the latest in productivity tools such as Microsoft Office, medical diagnostic applications, among others.
Check Amazon Best Price
|Series||EliteBook 840 G7|
|Specific Uses For Product||Office, Student, Communication, Gaming, Business|
|Screen Size||14 Inches|
|Operating System||Windows 10|
|Human Interface Input||Keypad|
|Hard Disk Size||512 GB|
● Affordable at this hardware configuration
● Portable size at just 14-inches and weighing 3.2lbs
● Ergonomic design with an easy-to-use keyboard
● Integrated Intel HD Graphics for image/video processing
● Excellent input devices and slots including USB-Type C, Gigabit Ethernet Port, USB 3.1, VGA, Security lock slot, etc
● HP Premium Spill-resistant backlit keyboard with drain
● Privacy-focused screen design
● Non-touch screen
● The screen can appear fuzzy
Acer Aspire S 13 Touch
Acer Aspire 13 is an affordable and ultraportable laptop. It offers excellent display real estate, robust hardware configuration, and a decent battery life packed into a stylish package. It’s one of the best laptops for doctors.
Under the hood, the Aspire 13 is powered by a 6th Generation Intel Core i5 running at 2.3GHz and up to 2.8GHz on Turbo-Boost. It also comes with 8GB RAM that makes multitasking smoother responsive.
For storage, the Aspire 13 sports a 256GB SSD that can store more data at faster speeds than a typical HDD. This Aspire also contains more ports than some of the other laptops on this list. It has two USB ports, HDMI, an SD card slot, headphone/mic jack, among others. This notebook looks and feels like others in the category. It’s thin, at around 15nm or 0.6 inches, and pretty light weighing just 2.9lbs (1.3 kilos).
The display is a 13.3″ full HD (1920 x 1080) Multi-touch widescreen LED-backlit IPS display giving you picture-perfect viewing, a wider field of view, and clarity. Furthermore, the Aspire 13 also sports a silent, ergonomic, and backlit keyboard, with light-blue LEDs, and two levels of adjustment. However, the back-lighting doesn’t activate by a swipe across the touchpad like on comparable notebooks.
Given its size, the battery can last up to 13-hours on regular use or up to 8-hours on heavy-duty use.
Check Amazon Best Price
|Specific Uses For Product||Multimedia, Personal, Business|
|Screen Size||15.6 Inches|
|Operating System||Windows 10 Home|
|Human Interface Input||Keyboard|
|Special Feature||Multi-touch Gesture|
● Long battery life with up to 13-hours on normal usage
● Quality and sturdy design
● Good trackpad
● Excellent network connectivity options
● Affordable price tag
● Shallow keyboard
● Noise fan in daily usage
● Lots of bloatware installed
Apple MacBook Pro
The MacBook Pro 13 delivers the perfect combination of speed, battery life, and display quality at a reasonable price.
It sports a 1.4GHz Core i5 quad-core processor, 8GB of RAM, and 128 GB of storage. That configuration delivers a remarkable experience with seamless data processing and the ability to run multiple applications simultaneously.
Apple has a long tradition of creating impressive displays. This MacBook is a testament to that.
It comes with a 13-inch Brilliant Retina Display with True Tone technology. True Tone technology adjusts the color temperature of the screen based on your environment for a comfortable viewing experience, making the display one of the best in the market.
It’s very stylish and attractively designed, providing an aesthetically pleasing addition to your desk. The device is also slim and portable, weighing just 4 pounds. It sports a fingerprint scanner feature.
Starting at just $1399, the MacBook Pro provides the best value for your money. Sure, it doesn’t feature all the bells and whistles a user might need, but doctors will find it capable of performing everyday tasks.
It also gives you a long battery life of up to 10 hours, making it one of the best laptops for doctors.
Check Amazon Best Price
|Model Name||MacBook Pro|
|Specific Uses For Product||Multimedia, Gaming, Business|
|Screen Size||16.2 Inches|
|Operating System||Mac OS|
|Graphics Card Description||Integrated|
|Connectivity Technology||Bluetooth, Wi-Fi|
|Hard Disk Size||512 GB|
● Excellent battery life
● Fast performance
● A bright and colorful display
● Powerful speakers with high-quality sound
● Convenient Touch ID
● Stylish and sturdy design
● Shallow keyboard
● A thick bezel
● Just 2 Thunderbolt 3 ports
Microsoft Surface Pro 7
Microsoft upended the laptop market with the launch of the Microsoft Surface Pro. It’s a super-lightweight device at just 1.7 lbs making it portable, especially for doctors and medical students. It sports a magnesium-alloy design with an industrial look, in a relatively compact and sleek laptop. At just 1.7 pounds, the Surface Pro is a portable device no matter how you look at it.
It’s loaded with a 10th-Gen Intel Core i5 processor that facilitates the device’s versatility of studio and laptop. You can type, draw, write, work, view videos, and play more naturally. Moreover, it also comes with both Intel Iris and HD graphics.
The Microsoft Surface Pro sports a 12.3-inches touchscreen display with a native resolution of 2736 by 1824.
It runs Windows 10 Home and uses the latest in wireless technology for connectivity.
Perhaps worth noting, the keyboard is sold separately. It’s an excellent keyboard for its kind, quickly detaching from the Surface Pro and attaching to the bottom magnetically. The transition is usually a breeze.
Overall, the Microsoft Surface Pro is a reliable laptop for doctors given its versatility, 2-in-1 design, and durability.
Check Amazon Best Price
● New keyboard (sold separately) makes for a great typing experience
● Wi-Fi 6 compatibility delivers four times the capacity of Wi-Fi 5
● Solid keyboard and pen stylus (sold separately)
● Improved battery life
● A real replacement for notebook and tablet
● Thin and light design with full PC performance
● MicroSD card slot allowing storage expansion
● Intel “Ice Lake” processor
● All-day battery life with fast charging
● Pricey compared to top-spec models
● Stylus pen no longer included, now cost an extra $99
● Keyboard sold separately
● Just two ports, and no Thunderbolt 3 support
Dell XPS 13
The Dell XPS 13 9370 is in a class of its own and offers stellar performance, long battery life, stylish design with a thin, attractive bezel, combined with a robust hardware configuration.
Starting with the processor, Dell has gone with an 8th Generation Intel Core i7 i7-8550U Processor. It can run up to 4.0GHz, giving you an unparalleled computing experience. Furthermore, the Dell XPS also comes with 8GB LPDDR3 2133MHz Memory that allows you to run multiple heavy-duty applications simultaneously.
The Dell XPS also comes with a 256GB Solid State Drive giving you faster data storage speeds than normal hard drives.
It’s on the display that the XPS 13 9370 shines. It sports a 13.3″ 4K Ultra HD (3840 x 2160) touch display. Its InfinityEdge display features a thin bezel with virtually no frame around the top or sides of the screen. The image just pops out with clarity and crispness.
The Dell XPS 13 is designed with security in mind. It’s not only Windows Hello compliant, giving you the ability to log in using just your face, it also has a fingerprint reader integrated into the power button. Additionally, the XPS offers a solid typing experience with an ergonomically designed keyboard and touchpad setup.
In terms of connectivity, the XPS comes with the latest 802.11ac WiFi and Bluetooth Combo. It runs Windows 10 Home 64-bit.
Check Amazon Best Price
|Series||XPS 13 9310|
|Specific Uses For Product||Multimedia, Student, Business|
|Screen Size||13.4 Inches|
|Operating System||Windows 11|
|Human Interface Input||Touchscreen|
|Special Feature||Slim and Light|
● Infinity display with an almost edge-to-edge screen with a 5.2nm bezel
● Aluminum/carbon fiber chassis with an industrial and expensive look
● Affordability at all hardware configurations
● Long-life battery running up to 11 hours on regular usage
● Variety of ports including two full-size USB 3.0 ports, USB Type-C port with Thunderbolt 3 support, SD card reader
● Excellent WiFi performance with a Killer 1535 Wireless-AC card
● No USB TYpe-A Ports
● Poor webcam looking up your nose
● Smudge-prone palm rest
The increased use of technology in the medical field is revolutionizing healthcare. Patients receive faster services while making it easier for doctors to manage and share information.
A reliable laptop, while small, can mean the difference between better access to critical patient information compared to the sometimes slower paperwork. Doctors can also collaborate seamlessly with other professionals in providing holistic healthcare.
Our selection of the best laptops for doctors should give you ideas if you’re considering buying a new laptop or replacing an older one.